When students are considering what type of career they would like, they think about what they enjoy and what is important and meaningful to them. There is a difference between a job and a career.
Interests and goals may change over time. Your kids have lot of time before they choose a career path.
However, it is never too early to think about the type of career that would make them happy.
This brings me to the question — When is a job more than a job?
When you were a child, what career did you dream of having? Your child may be interested in hearing about your childhood dreams and whether you followed them.
Take some time to discuss the following questions with your child.
1. How did you end up in your current career?
2. What preparation was required for your current job/career?
3. Did anyone assist you get started on your career path?
4. As a child you wanted to opt for a different career, how did your career and goal change?
What triggered that change?
There are many ways to learn about potential careers. Here are a few opportunities to consider in helping your child learn more about career paths:
1. Job Shadowing. This is where your child spends sometime in the workplace with a person who has the career that they are interested in. Help your child connect with these individuals — they can be your friends or family members. Prepare for this opportunity by making a list of questions, together, that
your child could ask someone about the job they are interested in.
2. Internship. In an internship, a student performs work, gets experience and if they are lucky sometimes, they get paid too. Every internship has specific requirements for learning on the job. You will be assisted by a coach who will answer questions and help you with basic work skills for that occupation.
3. Volunteering. By becoming a volunteer, your child can learn more about the workplace and the career that they are interested in. They may get to perform some of the work that is part of the career that interests them.
5. Mentoring. Find an expert in your career field who will coach you along the way on your career path. This would be someone you can ask for advice or assistance when you have questions.
Register your kids to make sure they are guided by the best/experts associated with www.igenpod.com
10000+Mothers trust iGenPod with their Kid’s Personality Development and much more